What is comprehensive coverage?
Most of us understand the collision coverage portion of car insurance. It’s rather self-explanatory. It covers the damage to your car caused by a collision, an impact, and accident. Pretty straightforward stuff.
Comprehensive coverage is the counterpart to collision. It covers damage to your vehicle caused by things OTHER THAN an accident. Things like:
- Theft of your vehicle – this will make you feel a little bit better about leaving your car in the parking garage
- Broken windshields – summer hail storms anyone?
- Flooding – take a look at the pictures below!
- Storm damage – have you seen the pictures from Revere MA where a tornado ripped through the town? It’s not just houses that were damaged!
- Hitting a deer – Yes, this sounds like a collision. But in a deer vs. vehicle situation, we blame the deer! So you get to report this type of damage under your comprehensive coverage, and your insurance rates don’t increase as a result, they way they could if you were the cause of the accident.
Looking for more information regarding car insurance? Check out our auto insurance page.