May 25- May31 is National Hurricane Preparedness Week
Although we have tremendous technology that allows us to predict and track hurricanes, the worst hurricane disasters continue to occur due to lack of understanding and lack of preparation. We cannot control when and where a hurricane will make landfall. But as an informed and intelligent society, we do have the ability to prepare; and in preparing to lessen the devastation, we can lessen the loss of human life. There are multiple agencies that partner together to track storms, provide critical information to the population, and offer pre-storm preparation resources.
- The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration www.noaa.gov
- The National Weather Service www.weather.gov
- The National Hurricane Center www.nhc.noaa.gov
- The Federal Emergency Management Agency www.ready.gov, www.fema.gov, www.listo.gov
- The Department of Homeland Security www.dhs.gov , www.ready.gov , www.ready.gov/business
The National Hurricane Center has prepared a series of informative YOUTUBE videos, with insight and tips for preparing for hurricane season 2014. Join us as we view this series this week.
Overview of a Hurricane, provided by the U.S. National Weather Service.